Welcome to the Kidzone
- Do you fancy being an archaeologist?
- Have you met Wallace the lion?
- What can you discover under the microscope?
- Have you ever touched a fox?
- Can you build a Tudor house?
- Would you recognise a blackbird’s song?
Here at Saffron Walden Museum, we have a whole host of kid-friendly activities, lessons, events and features that we have created to encourage learning, excite and entertain! In 2013 we made the top 20 for family –friendly museums in the UK. Considering the fact that there are over 2,500 museums in the UK – that isn’t bad! The following information details something of everything that is on offer here at Saffron Walden Museum, but there is much, much more on offer that you’ll only find out when you visit.
- Newly installed Touch Screen Computer, features local woodlands and walks with audible features to hear bird song and animal calls. Displayed in the Discovery Centre.
- Sand Pit with hidden treasures: artefacts, coins, pottery and jewellery, for the children to find. Displayed in the Ages of Man Gallery.
- Microscope and drawers of specimens of natural history objects to examine and explore in more detail. Displayed in the Discovery Centre.
- Touchable stuffed animals – fox and hedgehog. Displayed in the Discovery Centre
- Puzzles in galleries –1. Local History Gallery: bricks to create herringbone designs and a Tudor house to construct; 2. Ceramics Gallery: plate to reconstruct; 3. Furniture Gallery: leaves jigsaw
- A small Shop that sells: books – local history and children’s factual books, crystals and rocks, colouring packs, pendants, stationary, animal masks, bookmarks and many more items suitable for both adults and children.
Quizzes and treasure trails
We have a range of permanent Quizzes and Treasure Trails and we also offer QUIZ STAR STICKERS as a reward incentive for those who finish the tasks.
- Kids Museum Map – designed to engage children in navigating and map reading their own way around the Museum and to invite them to look for specific items of interest.
- Under the Microscope Quiz – designed to encourage children to look closer and use technology such as our Microscope.
- Rock Hunter Quiz – a quiz that invites children to search for different types of rocks and their uses in the different galleries.
- Tudor and Stuart Quiz – designed to encourage children to identify time period specific artefacts and their uses.
- A-Z museum Quiz – a quiz that encourages children to explore the museum looking for objects to fill every letter of the alphabet.
- Move it! Quiz – a quiz created for children to look at objects in different ways and to consider their method of motion.
We have recently become a Learning Destination with the Children’s University, offering three tasks that will allow children to gain credits upon completion towards their Learning Passport. The tasks that we offer are:
- General Museum exploration session
- Activity backpacks with numerous quizzes and tasks around the museum
- History suitcases (Prehistory, Romans, Saxons, Medieval) containing questions and real artefacts to handle and explore as they travel through the relevant areas of the Museum.
School holidays activities and events
To complement our temporary exhibitions and to keep our events fresh and exciting, we run specially designed activities and events throughout the year. See our events programme for forthcoming activities
Every year Saffron Walden Museum holds craft activities for families and children to come in and create Christmas decorations for the Museum Christmas Tree and to take home, encouraging festivity and community spirit.
Download the kids museum map (PDF 216KB)